Suggest me a good Fujifilm Lens Kit

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: Suggest me a good Fujifilm Lens Kit

TLDR: If I were you, this is 100% what I would do:

I started with the 16-55/2.8 and the 35/1.4

This covers flexibility, low light, weather resistance, image magic... everything.

For detailed advice... I'll do it like this... a general focal length, and lenses you may like within it. Mix and match based on what may grab you. (I'll be honest, and italicize the lenses I've never used, and bold the WR choices)

Wide:

• 16mm 1.4 WR
    • Unique. Incredibly fun. Incredibly sharp. Incredibly versatile.
    • One of two lenses you'd move to the system for.
    • Cool square hood.
    • Supposedly, it has some problems with astro (coma), but stopping it down to f2 still puts it ahead of the other two below. If you're reeeeally into astro, get the Rokinon 12mm f2.
  • 10-24mm f4
    • If you were a professional with a certain need, I'd recommend this over the 16. That, or if you'd rather have the flexibility this range, should put this in contention over the 16.
  • 14mm 2.8
    • More of an honorable mention here. I own and love this lens, but it's not as versatile as the other two. However, the pure image quality is superior to the two above, and arguably better than their most expensive lens, the 8-16.

Mid range:

• 23mm f2 WR
    • Compact. Sharp. Great contrast. Great focal length. Great value.
    • Don't try and shoot it like the 16mm 1.4. IQ reeeally suffers when wide open and shooting a subject closer than ~ 5 feet.
  • 35mm 1.4
    • Made of magic and fairy dust. A nifty-fifty with special sauce. The second lens people move to the system for.
    • AF speed is fine – it's the external focus that bugs me. Can extend almost a centimeter at minimum focus distance, inviting dust + water.
    • Still, I'd choose it every single time over the 35mm F2, which suffers from the same crappy close-up IQ, and shocking distortion... it is corrected in-camera, but it has to pull pixels from somewhere, which compromises IQ in the corners.
    • Cool square hood.
  • 16-55mm 2.8 WR
    • I know you prefer primes... but wow. The IQ is stunning.
    • The ability to adjust compression from 24mm to 85mm FOV, all with a 2.8 aperture, is (to me) 100% worth the weight.
    • Shoots great portraits at 55mm.
    • Doesn't have OIS, but neither do any primes

Telephoto:

• 55-200mm f3.5-4.8
    • If you're like me and don't shoot much above 85mm FOV, stop reading this section here. Get this lens.
    • You can get it for ~$500 and it's an excellent middle ground between the XC lens and the monstrous 50-140.
  • 56mm 1.2
    • I don't shoot portraits so I don't own it – if that's your scene, this is your lens, no compromise. The third lens people move to the system for.
    • If you want a more general purpose lens at this range, the 50mm f2 WR is razor sharp, weather resistant, and a joy to use.
  • Viltrox 85mm 1.8
    • Another portrait lens you might want. I don't shoot much in this range, but this is an interesting intersection of performance and value.
 fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow