Osprey with the 800mm f/11

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RH McClasan Forum Member • Posts: 81
Osprey with the 800mm f/11

Wanted to see how it would do in the field. First effort was a disaster (okay, I'm being a drama queen). I saw an osprey bringing a catch back to the nest, but I couldn't focus. I finally remembered to check the AF/MF switch. Sure enough, I had accidentally turned it to MF. It seems to be a little too easy to move.

I did get some osprey bif shots using electronic shutter. It hit the 20 fps rate as promised. There was no blackout or freezes. Lag was not an issue either in electronic or mechanical. These were my biggest concerns. Tracking ability is more dependent on my ability to keep up rather than the camera's.

I wrote this in another thread: I got the rated 12fps mechanical and 20 fps electronic. I was shooting raw plus highest-quality jpg. I haven't played with the RAW yet. Will save that for when I have more time.

It does slow down as the battery drains, but for me, that was after about 1200-1500 shots.

Over 3000 shots with one battery and it's still showing about 1/3 power. It took no video, at least not intentionally.

Here is a representative series of 10 shots taken from a shoot of over 60 (over 3 seconds). They're not all in focus. I think most of the lack of clarity was due to my lack of skill. I probably also could have used a higher shutter speed. I think that my keeper rate will improve with practice These have all been cropped. The ones that are not centered were ones where the bird got close to the edge of the frame.

Eye focus for birds works especially for static birds and slow-moving birds. To be honest, I could not tell how well it worked while tracking the osprey since I was focused on keeping the bird in the frame. Eye focus works best when the subject is in the center square focus area which covers about 1/2 the frame.

Here are a couple of bonus duck shots. These are uncropped.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow