Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 1,460
Re: Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

Eden_808 wrote:

Is there a 3rd party alternative tripod collar for this lens yet? The cheapest I can find the TS-111 socket is £130, which seems ridiculous for what is essentially a ring of metal.

If you like an alternative solution, which I am using for the past 5 years and I had also been using it on the Sigma 100-400mm, even using it for moon face shooting, visit this thread.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64184106

Here is an example of the moon face on Sigma 100-400mm using my alternative solution.

crop to 4K, as 400mm FL is far too short.

The tripod solution allows well balanced placement of the Sigma 100-400mm + A7R4 and is really a one hand operation to tilt and pan, great for action shots.

All setup parts you can easily get online and cheaply.  Moreover, you can use it on any lens+camera setup.  The Tilt head is only needed is you want to get well controlled tilting actions, else the ballhead will suffice.  Some thinking and imagination needed, but the whole setup is very light and flexible.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow