M43 flexibility for Macro photography with Oly 60mm F2.8, extension tubes, raynox M-250 and MC-20 TC

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
junmoe62
junmoe62 Forum Member • Posts: 79
M43 flexibility for Macro photography with Oly 60mm F2.8, extension tubes, raynox M-250 and MC-20 TC

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a longtime reader and member of DPreview, but it is actually my first time posting on the forum.

The forum has been of tremendous help and a great inspiration through my photography journey and has been invaluable in my learning of the craft, so I’d be very glad to participate in helping others by sharing with you some of my findings/opinions.

Also, I know many of you are truly talented and knowledgeable photographers, so it’d be really appreciated to have some feedback on the pictures I’m going to share.

The gear I’m using for true macro is primarily the EM1 X (sometimes the EM1 II) with Olympus 60mm F2.8 macro, this gives up to 2x magnification in FF equivalence.

If I need more magnification, my first pick is adding the Raynox M-250 (DCR-250) diopter in front of the lens. It is a fantastic option, since it just takes a second to clip in front of the lens, it doesn’t loose too much light, and to my eye it doesn’t seem to degrade the picture quality (maybe just a tiny bit of chromatic aberration in some case, but that’s really neat picking).

From there, if I need more magnification I have different options. I an add extension tubes to the mix, or I can remove the raynox M-250 and use 2x 10mm extension tubes with the Olympus MC20 2x Teleconverter. The latter actually yields quite impressive results with the 60mm F2.8 macro. It makes you loose 2 stops of light but makes you jump straight to a little over 4x magnification (FF Eq.). You do lose a little in IQ but it is still impressively good. I would even dare say that the IQ loss is less noticeable than on the 300mm F4 or 40-150mm F2.8. That may be due to the close focus distance and the impressive 60mm F2.8 microcontrast.

Then, if you want to go crazy and need even more macro power, you can go 2x 10mm extension tubes + MC20 TC + Raynox M-250. From there you can definitely tell it does start to affect the IQ, but still perfectly useable in my opinion. Finally, you can reach about 8x (FF Eq.) magnification I believe (don’t quote me on that, I’m not totally sure but that’s definitely a lot, just a little less than the 10x I have with the Laowa 25mm F2.8 2.5x-5x macro) with the combo 2x 10mm extension tubes + 16mm extension tubes + MC20 TC + Raynox M-250. With this last setup, that’s the limit of usability, I think, regarding IQ, light loss and the fact that it’s the maximum number of extension tube you can use before the focus bracketing starts failing.

I feel this setup is really awesome. You can actually go from infinity to up to about 8x macro with 1 lens, while still having access to focus bracketing and AF!!! I’m not sure but to my knowledge I don’t see anything else that can do that. You can surely find options that will provide better result at specific tasks, like using bigger sensor with motorized bellows and microscope lenses, but you can hardly consider that a hassle free, convenient, flexible, lightweight, compact, run & gun setup...

Here are some picture taken with this setup (Not full resolution) :

Shot of an adult male Phidippus Audax (about 15mm with the legs spread)

Shot of a juvenile Spiny Flower Mantis (Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii) (size : about 15mm)
Single shot handheld

Gear :
Olympus Em1 X
Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro

————————————————

Macro Portrait Shot of a Juvenile Phidippus Regius Bumblebee Jumping Spider perching on a dead leaf.
Subject size : 4mm.
Single shot handheld.

Gear :

Em1X + 60mm F2.8 + Raynox M-250

—————————————————————-

Macro portrait of a juvenile Bold Jumper (Phidippus Audax)
Subject size : about 4mm
Single shot handheld

Gear :
Olympus Em1 X
Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro
16mm extension tubes
Raynox M-250

————————————————-

Macro portrait shot of a juvenile Phidippus Regius jumping spider.
Subject size : 5mm
120 shots focus stack

Gear :
Olympus Em1 X
Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro
2x 10mm extension tubes
Olympus MC-20 2x teleconverter
Raynox M-250 (DCR-250)

————————————————-

Macro side portrait of a weevil.
150 shots focus stacked.
Subject size : about 2.5mm

Gear :
Olympus Em1 X
Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro
2x 10mm + 16mm extension tubes
Raynox M-250 (DCR-250)

—————————————————-

Single shot handheld of a Baby Phidippus Audax (size : 2.5mm)

Gear :

Olympus Em1 X
Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro
2x 10mm extension tubes

————————————————-

Macro shot of a juvenile Phidippus Audax jumping spider.
Single Shot Handheld.

Gear :
Olympus EM1 X
Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro

————————————————-

Macro shot of a Phidippus Audax jumping spider.
Single Shot Handheld.

Gear :
Olympus EM1 X
Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro
Raynox M-250

—————————————————-

Closeup shot of moth in flight.
Single Shot Handheld.

Gear :
Olympus EM1 X
Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro

————————————————-

There it is for today!

I hope it can be helpful to someone.

I’ll try to make a topic about the 300mm F4 Pro for closeup photography and also the Laowa 25mm F2.8 2.5x-5x on M43 and show the difference with the 60mm F2.8 when I find the time.

If you like the pictures I shared and you have some time at hand, you can have a look at some of my work on 500px at : https://500px.com/julienmonborgne

I post regularly on that platform.

Thanks for your time.

Julien

-- hide signature --

If you are interested in discovering some of my work feel free to check and follow me on 500px at : https://500px.com/julienmonborgne

junmoe62's gear list:junmoe62's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +11 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow