Sony A7SIII vs Canon R5/R6 are the reviews so far fair?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Locutus001 Regular Member • Posts: 140
Sony A7SIII vs Canon R5/R6 are the reviews so far fair?

Hey,

I'm very happy with the new camera technology that has been announced this year, but I just feel as if the massive criticism against Canons video flaws is a bit too much.

I'm a stills shooter and honestly the Canon R5 is a very appealing camera (especially since it's the first one in the RF line up that gives you the camera body needed for the excellent lenses).

The Canon R6 is no slouch either and even though 20MP is a... an interesting choice? ... it seems as if it's not all that much of a deal after all so yeah.

What most of the reviews so far have been comparing are the video specs. I get it, Canon announced some massive video specs inside of this camera. But the R5 and R6 are NOT video centric cameras as is the Sony A7SIII.

Being real hybrid shooters with emphasize on photography in my opinion Canon has delivered the better camera. Not the better video camera, but the better allround package.

It's a bit silly to put the Sony A7SIII up against these two cameras. Just because it's the "new one" from Sony and the other two are the new ones from Canon.

Different cameras for different uses.BUT Canon CAN be used for impressive videography as well. It won't be a videography workhorse but I don't think that has ever been the main focus.

I'd like to see some comparissons Canon R5/R6 against Sony A7RIV maybe A7RIII as well (or the A7III vs R6) and maybe mix it up with the A9II (just to compare the fast FPS+AF).
And see how the image quality and DR fares in the photography department. Because that's what the new Canon cameras are all about.

And honestly, if Canon would not have been too late to the mirrorless game and Sony wouldn't have been unmatched price/performance wise for quite some time I'd probably still be a Canonshooter. This would be a system I would buy into if I wouldn't already have quite some Sony gear. (it's a system I would buy into if I'd be rich and wouldn't need to care at all about money! getting those RF lenses! awesome).

So what are your thoughts? Anybody feels the same? Looking forward to more photography centric review-comparrisons as well?

Cheers.

Locutus001's gear list:Locutus001's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow