Is the 16-50 kit lens decent when stopped down?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
math guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Is the 16-50 kit lens decent when stopped down?

I'm considering getting an A6400 + Tamron 70-180 to supplement my Pentax kit... specifically for fast action shooting. (Very happy with Pentax in all other respects.) Besides the faster autofocus, an extra benefit to going this route would be the ability to carry a quality camera in my back jersey pocket while biking. It would primarily be for landscapes, which means I wouldn't care much about its performance wide open.

My experience with Pentax kit lenses is that they're not great wide open, but they're not too bad when stopped down. Is that the case with the 16-50 -- decent when stopped down to f/8 or so? Or is there another E mount lens about that size which is better suited for landscapes? The Sony 20mm pancake also caught my attention since the 21 Ltd is my favorite Pentax lens for landscapes. But if the 16-50 is on par with it in the f/8 range, I think the extra range would be worth the slight difference in size.

And if it's not, then I'd rather not buy the 16-50 kit in the first place. I would just get the A6400 body and put the extra $100 toward a better lens.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~ Albert Einstein

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-50 Sony a6400 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow