Do we think a future Z needs cross type pd sensors to improve AF?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,099
Do we think a future Z needs cross type pd sensors to improve AF?

I had the olympus om-d em-1 which has line type pd sensors. The AF was a great improvement over contrast based AF on earlier m43.

A lot of skilled people were able to get good bif shots with this but my reading of the progress of the Olympus AF system was that the em1.2 with an array of cross type sensors made a dramatic improvement to the useability of that body for sports/action/wildlife. - approaching aps-c dslrs.

Am I on the wrong track ? but could pd cross sensors address some of the shortfalls in the Z AF system.

The Sony a9 has cross type pd sensors.

I use my Z6 a lot but for sports/action I pick up my D500. I am certainly not alone in this.

The line pd sensors are not an issue for me in my use of the Z6 - even in architectural photos so long as I am aware of it I can refocus on some elements with vertical features or contrast and, in the end, do what I would do with a rangefinder which is to tilt the camera.

I do feel, however, that this is an issue with the Z6/7 and takes the AF back to an earlier era of DSLR’s pre D7000

Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M1 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow