I want a D850 | Ticket to the Titanic?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lasse p Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: I want a D850 | Ticket to the Titanic?

crashwins wrote:

Lasse p wrote:

I think you might benefit from my perspective. I had a complete D850 system, while i loved most things about it i was worried about loosing the value of my kit (rightfully so) and so i sold it to buy into the Sony ecosystem with the A9II. However i just never came to like the Sony system as much as i loved my Nikon gear. For a number of reasons, i did find though that i could never live without Eye-af again.

I have now sold the A9II along with all my Sony lenses. Not because i fear the price will tank, but because i was really missing the performance of my D850 and i find there are a lot of compromises once you really get to know sonys system. But what i missed the most was especially the sensor and the Nikon legacy lenses. You just cannot buy a professional Sony super-telephoto prime without breaking the bank.

So right now i am on the side-line. I have been contemplating rebuying the D850 again, but that would be a completely backwards move. The Z series is 100% the future and hand to my heart i believe Nikon will pull out a real special kind of rabbit out of that currently very black hat.

When it comes down to it, in my opinion the current Z6/Z7 is just not appealing. It is worse than the D850 in many ways. What i am looking forward to is the Nikon Z7s that will show up within the next couple of months and the mythical Z8/Z9 possibly already next year.

So i will bide my time, think things through carefully and order the new body once it comes out. I think you should do the same.

Thanks. That is interesting. What didn't you like about the Sony besides the lack of teles?

For me it was a combination of many things. The A9II is an ungodly camera. Quick as the devil and the focus is brilliant.

However I found it really hard to get colors correct and the white-balance would often be all skewed. In time I found myself comparing images to my older D850 and wishing they had more of the same look. Nikon colors in my eyes are simply better looking. More natural and to my liking. I also found that i missed the dynamic range of the D850 it simply has a much better ability to pull shadows and highlights.

Mostly though it was about resolution, auto-focus and long lenses.

The D850 offers a great resolution and a brilliant auto-focus to go paired with some really tack sharp long lenses. Sony only offers one camera with an equal auto-focus performance and thats the A9/A9II. However the resolution is much lower and it comes with an AA filter.

I bought the 200-600 Sony zoom but i found it softer than my older 200-500 Nikon Zoom and the next step up in Sony land is a $12.000 prime lens. I just could not put that kind of money down when i really did not enjoy the camera as much.

So you have no camera at all right now? Because I rely on my camera for some of my income I can't do that, unfortunately...So that is a bit of a conundrum for me.

That´s right, no matter how much it pains me to admit it!
Luckily i am not a professional. I have done the odd job here and there and i could maybe take it further if i was so inclined. But i have an education in human sciences and completely different day job so i use photography as a way to vent off some steam and be creative.

I could also buy an older Nikon, which are incredibly priced now. What I'm really wanting is a fast 50 on the Z body, but it's not happening and I tried the FTZ and balance is pretty bad with the Sigmas...Awful, really.

If you have to have a new camera right this moment. I would look long and hard at the coming Z5. It is a way into the Z system without breaking the bank on a body you are going to upgrade anyway. It should be available shortly. I also read that Nikon will be releasing a S 50 1.2 within the next couple of months. One of the lenses i have been drooling over myself is the S 24-70 2.8. It is supposed to be the sharpest zoom in the range, in the world. That could possibly help you get some good results until the 50 drops.

You could buy into the D850 system. Mind you the prices will plummet when the real D850 replacement hits the market, weather that is going to be the Z7s or the Z8/Z9 is anyones guess. But no matter what, you will still have an excellent camera system, likely one of the best for a few years still.

Lasse p's gear list:Lasse p's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow