Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rakumi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,361
Re: It wouldn't make financial sense

jayrandomer wrote:

Rakumi wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Rakumi wrote:

I was referring to if Canon abandoned the EF system

I know. I just think you're being unrealistic to expect a 3rd party company to create something that's a better EF mount DSLR than the 5DIV.

It would be possible if say Canon drops the EF system say in a month and another company starts work to simply improve on the 5D line a year from now. They would not even nees to make it super advance. It could even only have 1080p video but people would buy for the photography side if they are part of the EF system.

The capital outlay for Canon to make EF-mount DSLRs is at least an order of magnitude smaller than anyone else. If Canon decides that it's not worth their while to make new EF-mount DSLRs I can't see a new company would calculate the demand so differently.

Frankly the only crazy scenario I could imagine would be an existing DSLR manufacturer making their existing DSLRs compatible with EF lenses. And, since pretty much all DSLR manufacturers make lenses, it seems about as likely as Canon making an inkjet printer that takes HP ink.

I totally get what you are saying but this is all under the assumption that Canon continues making their lenses, just not new ones and that they stop making new bodies.  And even though you are right that there are plenty of other companies with their own lenses, it is just the idea that all those Canon users of EF are left on the table.  Surely a lost profit.  Isnt that why this thread was started?

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Rakumi's gear list:Rakumi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 60D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cjb
tko
Yxa
EG
EG
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow