Canon 5DS / 5DS R saturation and noise

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mikesco Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Canon 5DS / 5DS R saturation and noise

One thing I am curious about. When I look at the studio scenes and compare the 5ds series camera's with newer Canon Camera's, yes the noise at higher iso's seems worse. However it also looks like the color saturation levels are quite a bit lower on the newer cameras. If The 5DS was desaturated in this way as well as down sizing the resolution, It doesn't look like the noise levels would be all that different at least in RAW.

I would agree that the JPEG's look more improved in the newer camera's but that would be more of a function of in camera noise reduction software.

Am I missing something? Also which of the saturation levels are a more accurate capture of the original image? Is this also why the newer camera's have a bit more dynamic range, due to a reduction of contrast at the raw level?

It seems to me as far as noise reduction is concerned the advances are more related to tradeoffs in image capture as well as the handling of in camera noise reduction than is actual improvements to the sensor.

-Mike

Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow