What inexpensive telephoto lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Phocal
Phocal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,141
Re: What inexpensive telephoto lens?

wb2trf wrote:

I just picked up today a very bargain priced e-m10 Mark III. Besides playing around with it for short term amusement, I was thinking maybe it could replace my aging Canon SX-50HS for casual bird and wildlife photography and provide noticeably better IQ. I'm only opportunistic, not serious, about this class of photography, but am happy to bring home from travels the random eagle or grizzly bear photo.

For this purpose my plan is to try it out with an old 300mm Canon FD MF prime that I have (not being used). If it seems like the images are interesting then I'd buy a non-pro lens that will do similar, but with AF and that is smaller, much smaller. I see there is a 75-300mm Oly and a 100-300mm Panasonic (with new-to-me compatibility limits).

Is this a crazy plan? What would folks here recommend for a casual birding lens?

(As, fyi, I have a large lens ecosystem built around Sony mirrorless and shoot landscape and portrait with that. That's where my heart is. I don't have any telephoto lenses for that and consider the physical size and price of such FF lenses incompatible with my only modest interest in birds and wildlife.)

I really appreciate and comments you knowledgeable folks might be able to offer.

The Oly 75-300 is not a bad lens, I put it in the same category as the Sigma 150-600 C.  I bought mine when I was first testing a switch to Olympus and have contemplated selling it a number of times (just never got around to it).  Now that I am living in Alaska I have found a use for it and am glad I never did sell it.  On my daily fitness bike rides I could come across a fox or bear or moose to photograph, so I carry this on my old EM1 because it is light and will take decent to good photographs.  I also carry it when doing mulit-day backpacking trips.  I do a lot of lens comparisons and you may find a couple of them useful in making that decision.

The Olympus 75-300 vs ZD 50-200 SWD w/ EC-14 vs 300mm f4.0

The Olympus 75-300 vs 300mm f4.0 Battle Over a Fox

Flickr album of Fox images with the 75-300

my two copper pieces,

Phocal

Phocal's gear list:Phocal's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow