What inexpensive telephoto lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mm0zct Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: What inexpensive telephoto lens?

You can get the older Panasonic 100-300mm for under £250 second hand, that's what I use with my em10mk2.

The second edition of the lens adds better optical stabilisation, faster focusing and weather sealing, but is optically meant to be the same. With the Panasonic lens on the Olympus camera you get to pick either lens or body IS, I find the body IS better on the lens I have, but the mk2 version of the lens might work better with in lens stabilisation.

The Olympus 75-300 is definitely smaller and lighter (and cheaper new), but is a narrower aperture (and the Panasonic isn't exactly wide to start with) and doesn't have the option of lens IS. I think they are regarded about equals for sharpness, with both having a bit of lens to lens variation.

Have fun with the Canon lens meanwhile

mm0zct's gear list:mm0zct's gear list
Olympus E-420 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow