90D logical upgrade path from T2i and these lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jase619
Jase619 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: 90D logical upgrade path from T2i and these lenses?

Rakumi wrote:

Jase619 wrote:

slambubba wrote:

I've had a Canon T2i guessing for 9 years now and it still works great but of course just doesn't have the features of the newer cameras. I mainly do outdoor photography like landscapes, macros, and wildlife (some BIF mainly larger birds like Bald Eagles). I did photograph a gravel bike race last fall which was fun but definitely a learning experience. The mirrorless cameras seem to be gaining popularity but I have existing lenses I like for my amateur photography. I know there's an adapter for the M6 Mark II to use EF and EF-S lenses but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

My local camera shop is having their tent sale next week and he said it's their biggest sale of the year even Christmas and they have a 14 day return policy. I'm leaning towards the 90D and looking for advice if that would be a good upgrade or I should look at something else?

These are the lenses I currently own. I know some people say that some older lenses have problems with sharpness with the 90D. If anyone knows if any of these lenses are good to go or have problems please let me know.

Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II

Canon EF-S 10-18mm 4.5 IS STM wide-angle

Canon EF 100mm 2.0 macro

Sigma DG 150-500mm 5.0 APO HSM

Sigma DC 18-250mm 3.5 HSM (walk-around/vacation lens)

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Mike

I’ve had a 1000D for 9 years now and also looking at upgrading to a 90D towards the end of the year. No doubts about wholesale improvements across the board to my old camera, the only issue I am currently having is whether I should hold out a bit longer and see what the R series has in the way of a xxD equivalent camera in the near future. Obviously some more reasonably priced glass will also help. Guess I am just worried that I would be buying into a dying line.

I honestly dont think they will kill the EF system just like that. They may not produce any new glass but I am sure what exist will still be made for a few years to come and 3rd party will continue to produce for it. You may not see a APS-C new R camera for a while. They may want to see if the market is there for it. As it probable cost more to make a mirrorless Rebel than a mirror one.

Yeah, after posting this in the build-up/afterglow of the R5/R6 announcement, which followed with the realisation that the EF system will more than likely be around for a few years to come. Maybe not flagship, and probably no more cameras, but new technology does not break the old one.

My current enigma has now returned to should I get the 90D, or should I go back to my all-time goal camera of the 7D Mark 2. Being based in Africa my shooting is predominantly nature and wildlife-based, so thinking the 7D Mark II may be a good option, but not discounting the 90D and it's newer features and 32MP will get great for cropping when you just can't get close enough.

Haven't seen the final verdict from the Wildlife/bird shooter who setup the 90D tracking correctly, but it's a difficult decision regardless.

Both will do the normal day to day shooting with the family easily, and landscapes would be better with the extra MPs of the 90D, but it's a very difficult decision.

-- hide signature --

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Jase619's gear list:Jase619's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow