Rebels and focus microadjust

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
benjilafouine Veteran Member • Posts: 3,549
Re: Rebels and focus microadjust

adventurer69 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing , all of my T3i images are are lightly out of focus regardless of what lens I used

The best way to know is to shoot at 1/1600. If it is still blurry, it may be an out of focus issue and then MFA is a good tool (if you are very very patient). I used to follow the rule of speed equals to 1/focalsize but in the end, most of my issues were shutter speed. For example, if you have a 400 mm lens on a crop sensor camera, your shooting speed should be at least 1/640 for static scenes. For moving targets (birds for example), you have to be at least 1/1000 and even 1/1600 if you want to freeze the action or otherwise, you may end up with some motion blur.

Also, for a small bird at close distance, f5.6 may not be enough, you may have to go f6.3 if you want the whole bird to be in focus. This page is interesting to calculate DOF: https://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Since I adopted these two rules, my pictures became much better!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow