Olympus 40-150 Pro -- help re motion blur

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
snowline Regular Member • Posts: 299
Olympus 40-150 Pro -- help re motion blur

Looking for some help with a problem that happened today.

I got a used Olympus 40-150 f2.8 lens a couple of months ago and have loved it, especially for a new perspective on flower and other nature shots (e.g., the first shot below).

No problems until today when after a couple of hours I couldn't get anywhere close to a sharp photo. It was sunny so shutter speed and ISO weren't problems (at least before things changed), but every photo I took from then on had major motion blur, even with shutter speeds of 1/1000 second. To be clear: shots earlier in the day were fine then, poof, couldn't get a clean shot to save my life. See example in 2nd shot.

One other thing: the lens still snapped to focus without a problem (like earlier in the day), but the resulting blur in the photo looked as though I was shooting at a super slow shutter speed.

I went through all the settings and didn't see anything different. Tested different IS modes (then reverted to IS Auto), tried different sized focus points (then reverted back to the smallest), etc. Finally, I switched to my 60mm macro and everything was fine again (last photo below).

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions to fix this, especially since I have 2 more days of intensive alpine wildflower photography planned!

Thanks, Bob.

Here's a photo from before my lens doing weird things.

Not sure whether this dragonfly photo will show it, but nothing is in focus. It seems to be motion blur, and this is the best of about 20 shots. (EXIF: 1/1250 @ F4.5, ISO 800).

Here's a photo after switching back to my 60mm macro. Not the best shot, but at least sharp enough on the butterfly.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow