iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,335
iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

I’ve only had the iPad Pro a week, but already it’s been a complete eye-opener for me, and made me completely rethink my approach to managing and editing my photos.

Up until this weekend I was resigned to subscribing to Lightroom forever, it does OK for me, and work well across all devices. But, that subscription, I’m OK with it really, but it still feels uncomfortable.

After a bit of trialling of some new stuff, I’m now working towards finally ditching the Adobe subscription. A kind of light-bulb moment I guess.

Apple Photos, it’s actually pretty good on the iPad, but when you pair it with something like Raw Power, or Pixelmator, it becomes a different beast. I have Raw Power on the iMac, but never really took to using it, Lightroom seemed to do all I needed.

Both are so reasonably priced, that I bought both, and might add Affinity too if they do a special price again. Raw Power is giving the best results faster though, and seems to integrate better with Photos.

But that’s the bit I’d been missing with Lightroom, switching to the cloud plan, you lose the ability to use Photoshop, and it doesn’t work with any other third party editors, and is still missing printing.

Photos with a choice of editors has become a different beast altogether, and the iCloud syncing still gives me access on all devices.

I’ll be running Photos and Lightroom side by side for a while, and see how it goes. I have always had a question mark over Photos reliability on the iMac, but my eventual intention is to also retire the iMac and go iPad and iPhone only for editing.

I’ve had a chance to import some photos from the card reader attachment, no problems there at all, and pretty fast, imported into both Photos and Lightroom.

Anyway, just some ramblings, and perhaps a bit of a mini review.

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow