OP NicsPixels Regular Member • Posts: 389
Re: Canon weather-sealing?

RDM5546 wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

prsc wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

Debating coming over to Canon. How is the weather sealing of the lenses? (If I switch over I’ll be getting an R6 and I know no reviews are completed yet on the weather sealing of that body). I’m coming from Olympus E-M1 series.

In my experience the weather sealing on the L lenses is very good. I recall hearing the the R6 had 6D level weather sealing. So it’s there but basic, not like the 5 series it 1 series.

Very basic, the memory card door for example is missing gasket on one side if I saw correctly.

Thank you, were you describing the EOS R6 as “very basic” or both the R5 and R6 as very basic?

From what I could gather from the all the release information it sounds like the R5 is built to a higher standard, similar to the 5 series DSLRS

The 5D Mk IV and 7D II that I own and love have magnesium outer shells while the lower cost "prosumer" models like the 70D have a magnesium frame but a polycarbonate plastic outer shell. That prosumer polycarbonate packaging is very rugged for scratches and dings but is not as good at cooling or sealing as the the metal magnesium shell models like the R5 is said to be.

You might check out this 7d extreme weather sealing test demo of Kai on Youtube. I think it is memorable and I found it informative. Canon's metal body and L lens weather sealing shooting wildlife in the jungle is legendary although I would think twice before subjecting my camera to a test like you see on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

Hahaha. Oh my gosh. I don’t think anyone in their right mind would subject their camera to those tests. But very cool to see that it worked after the abuse. (Although usability and working can be two different definitions in regards to this test). thanks for sharing.

NicsPixels's gear list:NicsPixels's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow