July 2020 Part 2 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,393
Some Astro Success

Tuesday night, I was able to get NEOWISE.

E-M1 II, Tamron SP 80-210

Definitely starting to dim at this point, and had to do a fair amount of PP to bring it out, and a lot of background noise; so I decided to try again at a different location with hopefully less background light, and try stacking.

Tried Wednesday night at a rural lake, but proved too cloudy to spot the comet. So I tried to salvage with some wide-sky shots of the clouds using the OM Zuiko 24/2.8 instead of the Nikkor 28/2, and do some stacking.

E-M1 II, OM Zuiko 24/2.8, ISO 3200 stacked with Lynkeos and PP'ed in On1 Photo RAW

E-M1 II, OM Zuiko 24/2.8, ISO 3200 stacked with Lynkeos and PP'ed in On1 Photo RAW

That seemed to work out all right, so went out Friday night to see if I could get the comet again. Didn't go so well:

E-M1 II, Tamron SP 80-210, ISO 6400 stacked with Lynkeos and PP'ed in Capture One 20

Comet was fainter, and stacking didn't seem to help much. I have to wonder if I'd have gotten better results from an ISO 1600 pic without stacking.

Finally, a pic with the MF Rokinon 12mm/f2, which I managed to screw up by assuming that since it was a 'native' mount, 'infinity' would be actual infinity, and not magnify-checking the focus. Oh well. I do think the OOF effect was a little interesting on some of the brighter stars:

E-M1 II, Rokinon 12mm/f2

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow