July 2020 Part 2 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GnarlydogOZ
GnarlydogOZ Senior Member • Posts: 1,357
Re: Russian projection lens KP-35 1,8/120

fferreres wrote:

A flat image allows for "light painting" where the highlight and shadows have not fallen outside the dynamic range of the sensor and information is not lost yet. In post processing I can decide what I will emphasize, which area needs to be brought forward and which one can be toned down as supporting "framing". I don't see myself as a photojournalist nor a "purist" but I like to use photographic tools (lenses and software) to create a visual story. Documenting events and locations for the sake of it (as historical documents) has never been my interest.

I feel exactly the same way, and very strongly about it. You couldn't say it more clearly.

Now, if you really want to see magic, true light painting in editing, check out lightrider.at. I am just a rookie compared to his work

That's "extremely extreme". He or she literally repaints the entire thing again, resulting more in some art form than a photograph. But the position of everything is exactly what was photographed, which makes for a cool hybrid. Pretty drastic to see the change from original to final. In the Yamaha, it makes what was lit dark, and dark lit. Definitely, its a form of art on its own.

I don't think he paints from "dark to light" but he uses that masking for video effect as "building' the image. The key point is at the end where he shows the original file out of the camera and then how he modifies and enhances the image. It's a combination of great imagination (even if production) and very good skills to create great visual art based however mostly on a single image (no composite). I have friends that concentrate on resolving powers of a lens, on pixel peeping and counting lines...  and yet their work is rather ordinary, often even meh...

Captivating photography comes from the soul of a person, not the acquired equipment. On this Forum we have fewer photographers with vision, but many gear freaks...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow