Snapbridge alternative?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 818
Snapbridge alternative?

I've been using SnapBridge since my D7100 wireless dongle. When I upgraded to the Z7 and discovered the easier and more reliable connection and use I was pleased. Until I actually started to use it to try and control the camera from the phone.

Does anyone use an alternative to SnapBridge that provides more control?

This morning i was trying to take photos for a project that involved setting the camera on a tripod over my shoulder and photographing my hands from that "behind" angle.

I quickly discovered I needed to change the autofocus method from dynamic to point - but you can't do that from SnapBridge. So lower the tripod, switch, raise the tripod, reframe. I had to exit from remote photography in SnapBridge before I could access the camera.

Then I remembered something else, and again had to exit Remote, lower, change, raise, reframe, reconnect.

The experience still seems very primitive.

I also don't understand why (I may have brought this up here before), when I switch the camera from horizontal to vertical orientation, the display on my iPhone cannot switch from an upright horizontal display to a true vertical display. Instead I have the same display orientation but it is turned on its side.

Is there a better alternative to SmartBridge that enables more camera controls and also vertical oriented shooting that makes sense?

Thanks.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow