Nikon 58mm 1.4G VS 50mm 1.8s

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 756
Re: Nikon 58mm 1.4G VS 50mm 1.8s

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

I assume that in the 50mm image you were closer to the subject - as I would not expect the background to show as much blur if you shot both lenses from the same distance.

May I ask if you would please try a different test - take a picture of the same scene from the same distance. I would expect the 50mm lens to show much less blur in the background due to shorter focal length and slower max aperture. I would also suggest a subject distance of at least 3m as too close obviously the blur will be hard to judge.

I don't have the 50mm Z lens otherwise I would do the test.

I did a comparison a while back for my own purposes - where I compared the 58mm with the humble 50mm f1.8G.

The 50mm Z has a floating element design. This means that at closer distance it will have sharpness at the focus plane but it will defocus more rapidly. The 58mm lens has been deliberately designed without floating elements, and in this sense, it is similar to the 50mm f1.8G.

Here are my test images.

What you can observe I think is that when the framing is the same - subject distance adjusted, then the 58mm f1.4 has almost similar blur as the 50mm f1.8 - which is unusal characteristic of this lens. It defocuses slower than similar lenses.

50mm f1.8

58mm f1.4 - distance to subject same

58mm f1.4 - framing same as the 50mm f1.8 - distance not same

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow