July 2020 Part 2 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,393
Re: E.Zuiko 100mm f3.5 (for Pen-F system)

GnarlydogOZ wrote:

fferreres wrote:

Love this pic. More real that reality

Thank you. All images are real but none a true

The rendering of old glass is often more suited for atmospheric themes with its basic coating allowing more flare than modern glass. The same framing with my native M.Zuiko glass would have given me a sterile result, probably sharper but clinical. And yet most of us put above all else the elusive sharpness of a lens (misnomed I.Q.) where in fact there are so many other traits way more interesting that serve the purpose to create images with feelings. I am glad you noticed the difference

Yeah, I've noticed the M.Zuiko lenses I've used tend to have kind of a 'sterile' feel to them; certainly the 25/1.8, the 45/1.8 to a lesser extent, and even the 17/1.8 and 12-40/2.8 to some degree. One reason I tend to prefer Panasonic glass for native lenses; they generally have more 'flavor' to them.

I generally don't have the same problem with their OM Zuiko glass, for some reason; I love the rendering out of the 24/2.8, 50/1.4, 35/2, 100/2.8, and 28-48. GAS strikes again; I stumbled across a Zuiko 35-105 for $26 when I was browsing Roberts Camera's website, and I couldn't resist for that price. Just arrived today, so we'll see how it looks!

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow