Photographing Neowise with 600mm lens

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Alen K Senior Member • Posts: 1,073
Re: I need the reach

Bill Ferris wrote:

Justme wrote:

I am not sure why people are saying a 600mm lens is too much. I am using a 300mm lens and the comet fills a tiny portion of the frame on a 1.6x crop camera like the 7D MK2.

You must be observing under some fairly bright skies. From a dark sky site, the dust and ion tails have been observed to extend to a distance of 20° or thereabouts from the nucleus. That's about 4-times the angular size of the FOV captured by an APS-C camera and 300mm lens.

A long focal length can certainly produce interesting images of this comet. If you have the opportunity to get to a reasonably dark location, I would encourage the effort. This comet is worth it...but not for long.

Comet NEOWISE and the Big Dipper

Wow, I like that one! A perfect juxtaposition of comet and asterism (Big Dipper).

There was bad weather here on the 21st. By the time I could get to the comet again on the 23rd, it was much farther past the Big Dipper and not nearly as well positioned to get the two of them together in the same shot.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow