Lens Hoods

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
elmo Senior Member • Posts: 2,912
Re: Lens Hoods

mamallama wrote:

One of the disadvantages of the old rangefinder cameras was that using lens hoods caused real problems. There were special lens hoods made for rangefinder cameras with hole cutouts that helped (a little)

Nah, I think that NOT using hoods on a rangefinder causes real problems. Unlike with an SLR, you may not even see the flare through the viewfinder. And, if you do see it, attempts at hand shading will fail, because you will be hand shading the viewfinder, but, not the taking lens.

You just have to make sure you use the right hood, because, yes, the wrong hood may vignette your photos. And, the vented hoods are used on rangefinders so they do not block a corner of the viewfinder.

I always feel nekkid when using a rangefinder without a hood. I recently got a Konica Auto S2 fixed-lens rangefinder. The nice thing about this camera, is that it has a built-in sliding hood -- huzzah!

elmo's gear list:elmo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow