Using Fuji lenses for astrophotography

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
JayNGu
JayNGu Regular Member • Posts: 177
Re: Using the Fuji XF56 & XF50 for astrophotography

I have not used the XF 56 or 50 at all, but I have used the older XF 60 extensively for astrophotography and can heartily recommend it. It is very sharp and relatively free of coma and fringing issues even when shot wide open at f/2.4. The large, wide focusing ring I have found to be fantastic for MF in the dark, along with focus peaking. By using peaking on a bright star and I have found focus to hold with no problems. This was on my old XPro-1. I have not tried my new XT-30 for astro yet, but the lens has been working great for normal daytime photography. They can be picked up for a particularly good price 2nd hand since the reputation of the lens was destroyed on the net due to "slow AF" concerns. Optically the lens is great, and the handling for MF is great as well.

The shot below is a straight RAF conversion in Capture One using. It’s at 1600, f/2.4 and a 2 sec exposure, untracked on the XPRo-1. So, I was pushing things here without tracking.

I usually stack multiple RAF's in Sequator. The final version is cropped and multiple stacked images (even though I think some star trailing has crept in, I still like it) I was going after a part of Orion and was happy to catch a small look at M42, the Orion Nebula. (in the Southern Hem).

I need to catch that Comet while I can! (if work and family commitments allow).

Are you untracked? Your exposure's look very long (30 sec) for untracked at the focal length you are using.

Straight RAF converted to JPEG in Capture 1. Orion.

5-6 RAF's (I think) stacked in Sequator. Cropped.

JayNGu's gear list:JayNGu's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow