Wacom Cintiq vs Wacom Tablet and what size for photo retouching

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,209
Re: Wacom Cintiq vs Wacom Tablet and what size for photo retouching

Digitalshooter2 wrote:

graybalanced wrote:

Digitalshooter2 wrote:

I am thinking about switching to a tablet or Wacom Cintiq for photo editing. I usually do not dabble in “art” drawings, just retouching my photos.

"Just retouching photos" does not need much of a tablet. It can be a lower end one, or a non-Wacom knockoff brand. For just retouching, you are only using the most basic options of the stylus, like pressure. It does not have to be big because the tablet resolution is so high, a small tablet can cover a big monitor.

When you spend a lot of money on a high end tablet, it is for the added features like tilt which are not used in retouching. Or for having a screen built into the tablet, which I do not think is necessary for retouching but some prefer it.

The high end tablets are for if you want the maximum simulation of various paintbrushes and pencils because you are a digital artist (painting/drawing). They need a lot more control over line and stroke quality than you get with a low end tablet.

For retouching all those high end features will not be used and will be wasted, so the only reason to get a high end for photo retouching is you don't mind spending the money.

The larger tablet sizes are also for the artists (not photographers) because they will paint/draw with natural arm/hand gestures scaled to real world paper and canvas sizes. A small tablet is too constricting for that. (Most) photographers do not need large tablet sizes because you can just zoom into the area being retouched. And you should carefully measure the space available on your desk before buying a medium or large tablet because they can take up more area than you have room for.

This is great information. Thanks. I have not mad my mind yet. Still exploring.

Is it easy to find your spot in the photo with the tablet? I mean not much guessing is needed. That is the benefit i see with Cintiq type displays.

I just saw this: https://tabletunderbudget.com/photo-editing-tablets-for-photoshop/

looks like there are cheaper display type tablets too but I am not sure how many bugs they have in the drivers.

With an Intuous I have no trouble finding the spot on the photo.  Why did you look at the Cintiq over the Intuous?

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow