editing tips for newbie with comet pics

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
Re: editing tips for newbie with comet pics

Nicely composed shot!

Here is a quick and dirty treatment with LR.

Overall Image:

1) Clarity +60. Makes the stars and the comet pop.

2) Shadows +80. Brings up the foreground. Costs you some of the gain in the star field.

3) Gradient tool w +100 contrast & + 90 Clarity. (Gradient sloped to match hillside slope. Max to min on gradient is roughly as wide as the hillside is from the lower left corner.)

Makes the stars and the really comet pop.

Took me longer to explain what I did than it did to do it.

If I were to spend more time on it, I'd do the adjustment to the foreground using the brush or the multiple instances of the radial filter (small circles). Same basic correction  shadows and structure. (Would begin with the overall clarity adjustment , then do the foreground. No shadow brightening of the sky.)

I'd play with small overlapping circle filters (Mostly more Clarity) to make the comet tail pop more, but have to really work to keep it from brightening the whole patch of sky.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow