1 Lens for vacation photography UP Moichigan

Started Jul 23, 2020 | Discussions thread
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,372
Re: 1 Lens for vacation photography UP Moichigan

WaseemH wrote:

Planning to go to upper peninsula in MI for few days.

I have all the standard RF zooms (24-70f2.8, 24-105f4 and 24-240) and want to know which one is the best to take on vacation in terms of a compromise in size, image quality and one lens do it all. It will be on a EOSR body or if i am lucky, an R5. BTW, i will also take my 85mm f1.2 for portraits in wild.

Thanks. Any suggestion of must do things in UP MI will also be aoppreciated.

It’s a pretty big place. Where will you be staying?  One spot with day trips?  Or camping all over?  It’s a good 6 hour drive from the Bridge to Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keewenaw Peninsula

Could make a case for the 24-70 or the 24-240.  24-105 seems both a compromise in speed and reach.

I recently did a lot of hiking with both the 35 1.8 and the 24-240 in my backpack.  Low light in the woods, the 35 was small, easy to carry, plenty bright, focal length was good on a trail.  When we go the “destination” (waterfall, lookout, whatever) I switched to the 24-240 and got out the tripod, filters, or whatever as needed.  Back to the 35 for the hike back.

I did not use the long end as much as expected, but it was nice to have as small forest animals don’t hold still and won’t let you close.

“Say, ‘Ya!’ to da UP, eh!”  - regional take on the old, “Say, ‘Yes’ to Michigan!” tourism campaign.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow