A Fistful of 28s

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Travis Butler
OP Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,393
Re: A Fistful of 28s

rlx wrote:

TripleCoatedBokeh wrote:

rlx wrote:

Thank's for sharing, Travis. I had the Zuiko 28mm 1:2.8 for a few years. I have summarized my findings here . I think the lens creates very nice pictures without artifacts. The lens renders night time Christmas lights very well wide open. The resolution in the center is almost clinical as the Zuiko 50mm 1:1.4 is stopped down. The only issue I had with the lens is it is soft in the corners at all apertures on landscapes when the picture is viewed at 1:1 at the resolution of the Fuji X-E1. The corners look right when the picture is viewed normally though. So one could make good crops from the central area only.

The soft corners you are referring to is from the 28mm? Because thats the same issue I have with mine.

Yes it is. After selling the lens I thought the softness in the corners is likely a design compromise: the lens matches the resolution of typical consumer film (a little over 2K tack sharp if I look at the scans I did of old Kodachrome slides). Then I though it might just be strong field curvature and that is sometimes a feature; it increases the apparent DOF in some compositions that go from very close to very far and with just the sky overhead. I no longer have the lens and I can't investigate.

I was curious to see if Travis noticed any field curvature like this (if it is) with the other 28 mm lenses he has.

Unfortunately, I wasn't testing looking for it, and as I said originally I'm not sure I would have noticed it if it were there. That's the sort of thing I generally have go right by me unless it's pointed out.

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow