Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3? Zeiss Planar T* f/1.4 vs Nikkor f.1.2 or f/1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Steven Seven
Steven Seven Regular Member • Posts: 362
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI-S

LenneMc wrote:

You forgot the Nikkor 50mm f1.8, f2. and the Series E 50mm 1.8. I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.2, and I am disappointed with the bokeh at 1.2. Rather nervous, lots of onion rings. I am starting to be impressed with the lowly 50mm f1.8 Series E (silver ring).

Agreed. People often forget about the weight. Nikkor 50mm AI-S f/1.8 is a gem, it weights nothing and it is perfect wide-open. It competes well with two other 50mm primes I have: Leica Summarit f/2.4 and Canon 50mm f/1.2L

By the way, there are three (!) versions of this lens. They all share the same optical formula, but differ in build quality. As much as I dislike Ken Rockwell, he covers it well here.

This lens came bundled with my FM3a, but I ordered the nicer-built version from Japan on eBay. It's fairly cheap and gives me the nice smooth & rubberized feel under my fingers

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow