fp Horizontal green lines with ISO 6?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
bizi clop
bizi clop Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: fp Horizontal green lines with ISO 6?

jma60 wrote:

Thanks for the deeper analysis, that rules out one suspect.

I was trying take a picture of a highly polished but dark-colored engineering component (think polished blued steel) against a white backdrop and was trying to avoid reflections/glare, but did not have time to setup any diffusers, so I actually took the picture (and the above example) in a very dimly lit room.

I just tried taking the following exposures:

• ISO 6/320s/f3.2 in a well-lit room against a white wall, lens cap off
  • ISO 6/320s/f3.2 with lens cap on
  • ISO 6/320s/f16 with lens cap on
  • ISO 6/500s/f16 in a well-lit room against a white wall, lens cap off
  • ISO 100/30s/f3.2 in a well-lit room against a white wall, lens cap off
  • ISO 100/300s/f3.2 in a well-lit room against a white wall, lens cap off
  • ISO 100/300s/f16 in a well-lit room against a white wall, lens cap off

Only the ISO 6/320s/f3.2/cap off exposure resulted in the same green line problem, so I'm inclined to think this is an exposure-dependent problem and not a thermal one. All the others resulted in a perfectly black or white image.

I've read about similar situations that have occurred with exposure of the sensor to lasers, but I really hope that this is a case of correlation-not-causation w.r.t sensor damage.

If it were laser damage it would be much more noticeable:

https://petapixel.com/2019/01/12/mans-1998-mirrorless-camera-fried-by-self-driving-car-laser/

https://petapixel.com/2019/03/09/this-2200-sony-camera-got-fried-by-a-tattoo-removal-laser/

Also the lines are too regularly spaced, so I guess it's a behaviour of the camera.

So is the bottom line that the lines only appear when the photo is already unsalvageably overexposed?

bizi clop's gear list:bizi clop's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow