Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3? Zeiss Planar T* f/1.4 vs Nikkor f.1.2 or f/1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,744
Zeiss 50mm Makro?

robot vulture wrote:

Voigtlander 40/2 Ultron

I picked this up a few months ago, and imho it is overall the best to pair with the fm3a. I love the colour rendition (slightly muted compared to zeiss), sharpness and bokeh. Form factor is very small, and it's a stop faster than the nikon 45/2.8P.

Zeiss 50/1.4 ZF2

Picked up one of these recently. Haven't properly tested it out on film yet, but from digital tests and what i've seen on the web i'm expecting good things. It's not up to the level of the milvus 50/1.4 but i think it'll be a big step up from the 50/1.4 AIS nikon. This lens does apparently have focus shift though, so something to be careful of.

Zeiss 50/1.4 Milvus

Amazing colour rendition and detail on film. Shoot a roll of portra 400, scan it well and you'll be amazed at the detail you get out of it. Too big for FM3a though, but it's fine on larger bodies like F5/F6/F100.

I'm with you on the Voightlander, performance wise its perhaps not up their with the absolute best, the boarder are a bit softer wide open mostly but compared to older Nikon's it certainly holds its own very nicely plus as you say colour and bokey are very neutral. The older pancake designs especially make for a very compact pocketable setup on an Fm3a, personally I match it up with a 20mm Voiightlander Pancake as a lightweight travel setup.

One other Zeiss option I'd suggest is the 50mm F/2  Makro, again its a slower lens but performance wise I think it holds its own against pretty much anything at equivalent apertures plus gives you a pretty decent macro option. Its still a little on the heavy side I spose but not to the degree it would massively unbalance something like an Fm3a.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow