Long exposure noise/banding

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
peterotoole Regular Member • Posts: 104
Long exposure noise/banding

I went out the other night to catch the Comet Neowise and although you couldn't see it with the naked eye over the city, you could see it over a long exposure.

I shot most of my photos on a 30-second exposure on F8 with ISO 1600. I realised after I should have done much shorter exposures as I got star movement in all my shots. I'll know better next time.

Anyhow, my issue is that the photos I did manage to get I have a lot of noise which is to be expected but I also have strange banding appearing in all the shots even those shot at much shorter exposures. I can't seem to get rid of the banding no matter what I try. If I try and blur the whole area, i end up with insane banding as well so nothing seems to work.

I am using 16 bit, have tried applying noise, smart blur, gaussian blur etc etc. It's becoming insanely frustrating. This is my first experience of astrophotography so maybe this is very normal?

I have uploaded the original RAW files here: one with the 8second and one with the 30-second exposure.

https://innerworkings.box.com/s/315wxzbb5340b3p7qt44la7y78vz0zt4

Any advice would be incredible.

Final edit below, hopefully, you can also see the banding here at the top of the image.

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow