Waiting game -- is the new Canon better than this?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoanKauai
JoanKauai Regular Member • Posts: 143
Waiting game -- is the new Canon better than this?

Like many here I'm disturbed by the recent sale of Olympus Imaging. I'm in a quandary at this point. I have always felt a better use of my time is to learn the system I have rather than to dilute my time across two or more systems, not to mention the time involved in learning and settling on various PP software and workflows. But the uncertainty about Olympus has caused me to look into some other systems. The folks on the mft forum at fredmiranda.com are really keen on the new Canon R5 with the new 100-500mm lens. So, hypothetically, let's say money is no object (it is of course), would I want an R5 plus the 100-500 at any price, if I won them in a lottery, say? Or would I rather stick with an EM1X plus the 300mm? It looks like we'll just have to wait and see when folks have some hands on experience rather than relying on published specs. So, here is what I've been able to do recently with my Oly gear. I guess in about a year I'll rent the R5 with the 100-500 for a week to see if I can do any better than this. As is, I'm really pretty happy and wouldn't bother with looking elsewhere if it weren't for the Oly Imaging sale. And then Oly has the additional advantage of a super great repair service and their Proadvantage program that is accessible to non-pros such as myself--but who knows if all that will continue. Anyway, I hope a look at some wildlife around here in Kauai might be of interest.

Green sea turtle coming up for air, Kealia, Hawaii

Brown anole (Anolis sagrei ) with throat fan extended while doing pushups, Kapaa, Hawaii

Great frigate bird, male, with red throat sac folded up at throat, Kilauea Point, Hawaii

Great frigate bird, female, Kilauea Point, Hawaii

Red tailed tropic bird, Kilauea Point, Hawaii

Red tailed tropic bird courtship, Kilauea Point, Hawaii

-- hide signature --

joanroughgarden.smugmug.com

JoanKauai's gear list:JoanKauai's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
sbu
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow