What Photoshop fill for 18% grey card?

Started Dec 16, 2005 | Discussions thread
pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 4,227
Re: Agree....

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Xrite should have given the patch number to make it simple.

Agreed. X-Rite puts out a ton of information, but they don't make it easy to find, and some of it is not clear (to me at least).

Indeed.

Now for some further confusion. The new Passport 2 large 18% gray panel matches the patch 21, patch next to the white patch.

Hmm, I wonder whether they meant to say that the panel intended for white balancing matches patch 21?

Whatever they may say, one white balances on a white patch that is spectrally neutral* and one gray balances on a gray patch that is also neutral. One for raw WB, one for gamma corrected rendered Gray Balancing.

*For creative WB, they of course provide the warm/cool white patches to WB to visual taste.

I have the original-type Passport, so I can't look at the new one. I can't imagine that anyone who has looked at many gray cards would think that the second patch on the Macbeth / CC neutral row is anywhere near 18% gray.

The only thing new in this newer Passport is this so called 18% gray card in addition to the three original targets.

Camera Calibration software now produces camera ICC profiles that can be use in Capture One and other software packages that require ICC camera profiles. AND an additional update to Camera Calibration software now makes it possible to use the SG target in addition to the 24 patch ColorChecker Classic.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow