Noise: Exposure vs ISO?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
spike29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,179
Re: Noise: Exposure vs ISO? and Exposure compensation adjustment

something different:

every camera has a EV compensation which allows you to alter the measured outcome of exposure. like -1 is 1 stop underexposed.

often used for ETTR/ETTL corrections, zebrastripes option will help with that in highlights.

say i set iso fixed at 400 and i push my EV comp to +2EV (2 stops) and in order to keep shutterspeed at 1/125sec i need to open up aperture 2 stops.

or i underexpose by 2 stops (-2EV) so my shutterspeed is 2 stops faster.

which one generates more noise?

i think the latter because i have to raise shadows in post which is always a noise pull.

That's why exposure bracketing (-1.5; 0; +1.5) can give some interesting outcomes when you proces a rawfile

Only thing which i am not certain of is What is the "adjustment wheel" of EV compensation changing?  the actual meatering read of the sensor (sensitivity) or just a change of outcome of a meatering?

Or is it something which effects the ooc jpeg more then the rawfile?

(thinking further on that: is EV compensation in camera the same as EV compensation in post? when Raw is used?

-- hide signature --

knowledge is addictive, every time i get some i want more.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(If i can remember 1/1000 of everything i learned/read in the past i will be happy as a monky with........)

spike29's gear list:spike29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow