Photographing Neowise with 600mm lens

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 5,689
Re: Photographing Neowise with 600mm lens

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Another possibility not mentioned is that I could drive to a better location with darker skies, though I suspect it might only buy me a stop. Currently I'm just standing on my balcony looking northwest from the edge of Phoenix.

Craig, if it fits your calendar, pay attention to the weather forecast around the state and look for a night when the monsoon activity is supposed to calm. A drive up to Mormon Lake, or up along 89 between Prescott Valley and Ash Fork would deliver significantly darker skies. Unfortunately (for comet viewing) the monsoon has kicked in and this week's weather on the plateau is looking pretty cloudy.

You could reach out to the East Valley Astronomy Club (EVAC) for recommendations on where to go within a reasonable drive for a good view of the comet.

I've been watching the visible and IR satellite animations the last few days and the southwest quad of Arizona is about the only area that's been consistently clear. I'm not complaining - we need the rain - but it would be nice to get one more clear night up north before the Moon brightens the evening sky.

Anyway, southwest of Phoenix that may be your best bet to get to a dark sky site with a view.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow