PowerShot G1X Mark IV possible specs

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,941
PowerShot G1X Mark IV possible specs

Given recent developments, going to update the possible / probable G1X Mark IV specs.

Also, I'm revising my former stance that it may not happen to strongly probable now. Simply put, the Sony RX100 IV sensor in the G5X II and G7X III can't do PDAF/DPAF; I gather Canon doesn't want to use the RX100 V/VA sensor because then they'd have to write their own PDAF firmware, rather than use their own DPAF firmware or pull forward the contrast detect (like they did with the G5X II / G7X III). Combine that with the IBIS patents which depict a G1X Mark III body, which now the R5/R6 have accomplished combination IS, which those patents also spell out the IBIS working with lens-IS for the G1X Mark III body, I think we have a winner (the G1X Mark IV will eventually happen)...

32MP APS-C sensor (90D/M6 Mark II)

15-45 f/1.8-3.5 OR 15-75 f/2-5.6 lens

DIGICX

8-stop combination IS

4K/30 (pixel binned though)

G1X III style body (integrated EVF with swivel screen and weather sealing)

Eye-AF and animal eye-AF

7-14FPS capable

HEIF support

Updated JPEG engine: improved noise reduction and sharpness

Image.canon auto-transfer support

UHS-II support

Updated battery (maybe)

G1X II size/weight (550g-ish; slightly bulkier than the G1X III... The RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 which is closest to the equivalence of said patented lens, is around 395g, which when you account for no flange distance, APS-C sensor vs FF, and a self-collapsing lens, it should be quite a bit smaller but not necessarily lighter)

Not sure on the release date. Maybe Q4-20 to Q3-21 launch?

Not sure they'll call it a mark IV though either; it's a bad omen in Japan

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony RX100 Sony RX100 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow