maybe the best thing about Canon R5/R6

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lightnchade Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: maybe the best thing about Canon R5/R6

Maxxum Fan wrote:

shootrawww wrote:

is the comeback of the older Canon color science I've come to love (5d ii, 5d iii, 6d, ...)

(besides all the other cool new features of course)

Taken from a video I found on youtube previewing the R cameras.

Color science doesn't exist it's how the WB is

I think Canon would disagree:

The above is from a Canon White Paper. However, it's quite basic and not the one I wanted to show (that's on another computer), but this will serve to illustrate the process.

The other paper goes into much more detail about analysis of the common sources of illumination in various types of scenes, the reflectivity (of those sources) of common subjects and how the compounds used in the CFA accounts for the specific frequencies to be captured based on the anticipated customer for a given camera by prioritising certain wavelengths over others.

Canon deeply considers the entire process, end to end, and to some degree you can even deduce the what type of scenarios and subjects they expect the camera to be used for by the default JPEG they give to specific models.

Canon used to talk about this a lot more in their white papers, but in recent years this has tended to be left out; perhaps they were giving away too much secret sauce, or maybe the subject of skin tones became more contentious, perhaps both.

Now, it is certainly true that once colour is digital, it can be manipulated towards the required results. But this actual fact is often convey together with the anti-facts that to do so is easy and convenient, when it is neither.

For example, we could shoot a colour checker and use it to create Lightroom profiles. But this an imperfect and often impractical approach.

1. First, it requires you adopt Lightroom, which is an analogy for saying you start to limit your toolset.
  2. Next, there are many scenarios where it is highly inconvenient or sometime impossible to shoot a color checker at the location.

And even if we shoot a checker, it won't give consistent results for all colours across all scenes, although I'll happily conceded it's often a good enough approximation.

But even then, when not working to some constrained reference, the choice of colour treatment we want to apply to our photos can be personal and subjective. And in this respect, how the CFA and sensor have captured your scene can have a significant input to the processing you'll need to do, and the tools you need to use to do it to your liking.

This is why some people talk about CFAs and colour science, it's not always because of myths, although I'll concede again that there are certainly lots of examples of that too.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow