Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,444
Re: Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all?

Jon555 wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Shortly after the X-Pro3 was launched I had a chance to use one for a few days. My initial opinion was quite critical, see here ...

Since then I've been reading reviews & following posts of some experienced users here (thanks Deed! which might lead me to reconsider!

That's why I'd appreciate some feedback from X-Pro3 users regarding your experiences (Pro's & Con's, did it change how you do your photography?) with following aspects of the X-Pro3 (I initially was critical about):

1. The "hidden" / fold down LCD screen, compared to what's on the X-T3 / X-H1 / X100V
  2. The "crippled" OVF - only one magnification & not compatible with 18mm or shorter

To be honest on my X-Pro2 & X100V I use the EVF 90% of the time, so maybe the X-Pro3's single magnification OVF is not a big issue & compensated by the its better EVF (compared to my X-Pro2) ... and I've meanwhile learnt with my X100V that the X-Pro3's missing D-Pad (vs. my X-H1 and X-Pro2) is not really an issue for me anymore

But I'm very curious how y'all fare with the "hidden" LCD: has it really "purified" your photography (as Fuji maintains), or is it a hassle when you do want to quickly review your images when using the camera on eye-level (no issue when using the camera to take waist-level photos). For me reviewing the image in the EVF is not an option as then the image review is on all the time & disrupts my workflow (i.e. I can't use it selectively). And finally, do you miss the flexibility of the 4 additional touch gesture function allocations when the screen is closed?

So I'm kinda on the fence to get an X-Pro3 after all (may trade in my GFX50R / GF50mm ...?)

FYI the main lenses I use on X-Pro type camera are 18/2, 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2, predominantly for street scenes & portraits

Many thanks in advance for your sharing your experiences & advice!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

I waited for the XPro3, but then got a camera where they thought it was only acceptable to shoot it in one way, and worked against users working with any other option, so I don't have one... I hate that... let photographers choose how they want to shoot, don't tell them only one way is okay...

Really? A bit dramatic... and any other camera on the market will serve you well

Not with the nice optical viewfinder and interchangeable lenses.

Plenty of DSLRS still available...

Obviously loads otherwise. I found it annoying that something I had high hopes for would, for example, make shooting over obstacles (like a 3-deep crown in front of you) so hard for the reason that they wanted to make you to use the EVF.

You can do this with the X-Pro3 just the same as you did with the X-Pro2.  Explain why you cannot please...

It's not like it gives any advantages in return.

It depends... some like the flip down screen.

I really hadn't expected it to blow up so big BTW. I think I'm entitled to my opinion, and in any product this stuff can be annoying. (Plus I do find it disappointing if I need to carry an extra camera for the 5% of shots the one I want to use is rubbish at, or just not take them.)

Of course you don’t have to like it, but you seem to think the X-Pro3 doesn’t have an LCD... and it does.

-- hide signature --

https://www.johngellings.com
Instagram = @johngellings0 and @nycrandomjg

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow