Portable SSD or Cloud storage

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Qimmiq Regular Member • Posts: 138
Portable SSD or Cloud storage

In the past I've always just uploaded the images from my camera to the hard drive onto the desktop PC and then once in a while I would back them up to an External hard drive.

But things change and I'll soon be living on my own without access to that desktop. So I'm taking the opportunity to also look at my workflow.

I currently have a laptop and I just bumped the RAM up to 16GB. I have CS3 and LR6 installed on it for photo editing but the SSD in the laptop is only 250GB so I don't want to start uploading photos to it. Once I get settled in my new place I'll also get a desktop PC (likely Dell XPS with one of their Ultrasharp monitors) but there may be times where I'd like to edit on my laptop at a cafe or some other place.

I'm wondering if it might be best to upload from my camera directly to a portable SSD like SanDisk makes or if it's better to upload to a cloud. That way the images aren't tied to one particular computer and I can get them on either my desktop or laptop by plugging in or logging on.

I'm kind of leaning towards a portable SSD because I like the feeling of "having them with me" and not paying a monthly fee for cloud storage, but if the cloud is that much better I would certainly consider it.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Qimmiq's gear list:Qimmiq's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow