Photographing Neowise with 600mm lens

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 5,677
Re: Photographing Neowise with 600mm lens

JessieS12 wrote:

Hi, I live in Minnesota and am planning to photograph Neowise between 10-11:30 pm tonight and I have a Nikon D7200 with a Sigma 150-600mm lens and I just got a 1.4x teleconverter that I am hoping to use for a close up shot of the comet. I'm new to astrophotography so I'm not sure what the best ISO, f stop and exposure would be if I'm at 500 or 600mm? and with the 1.4x? Thank you!

Hey Jesse,

Do you have shorter focal length lenses? Something in a 70-200mm f/2.8 or f/4 zoom or a fast prime lens will deliver better results. If not, don't let that stop you from giving it a go. The 150-600mm wide open at 150mm can make a good image.

Try 2-4 second exposures and don't hesitate to use high ISOs. Start at ISO 1600 and go as high as 12800. If your camera will be on a sturdy tripod, I suggest using the self-timer with a 5-second delay. Do you have access to a photo editing app that allows you to stack, align and blend multiple images? Shooting 6 to 9 frames with short intervals between exposures. Stacking and blending will reduce the visibility of noise...helpful if your best shots are at ISO 3200 or higher.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow