I give up, returning 100-400!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
spike29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,179
Re: ***UPDATE***

MalvinF wrote:

spike29 wrote:

prairiedog wrote:

Got a replacement, an open box but I was OK with that, and was wasn't looking forward to running the same old tests to see if it was OK.

But within an hour of opening the box and casually snapping a few handheld shots the difference was night and day. I wasn't even trying, i was literally lifting it to my eye and snapping, no bracing against walls or anything.

These are straight out of camera jpegs. 3 of these are 1/125 handheld, full zoom, wide open and considering the total lack of effort I made they have a sharpness I simply couldn't get with the previous lens. The picture of my cat at ISO 800 just blew me away - just look at his eye and nose at 100%

So thanks for all the input, I apprecate it all. I'm experienced and know what I'm doing but you buy an expensive lens so you start thinking it can't be the lens and start doubting yourself.

Though I think I knew the truth all along but just needed to prove it.

You can see a fence in it's eye.

Is this a citronbutterfly green of jelousy?

Seriously, i still find it mindblowing that quality control is that low on the agenda of manufactorers. In a ideal world the sellingpoint and or dealer should have a testing site so if you got some doubts you can let it tested in a test setup by a person who has seen dozens of that lens.

You will always more likely hear the bad reports, but less likely so the good......those people just get on and use their gear as no need to post anything other than photos from them

And post how happy they are with there new lens. πŸ˜€

- so a few dodgy samples isn’t necessarily indicative of a major problem lens, some people just get unlucky.

I never said it was a problem lens as a model. Did i?πŸ€”

In my opinion you can’t label a lens to have bad quality control from a few online posts, all lenses will have the odd lemon produced.

So i don't label a lens to have bad quality control i find it odd that we have to be the tester to separate the lemons from the working. That's a or the problem in my eye's.

Maybe we have to have a usbstick included with the test(images) result of the lens in the box.

So we can see it past the benchmark before shipped.

And if we doubt our lens we can let a shop/dealer test the lens with the calibrated test area to see if where right or not.

Not everyone is capable enough to thorrough test a lens properly so maybe a lot more lenses are used and be a half lemon but they think it's the quality it provides not 75% of it's designed quality.

I don't mind dropouts by being a lemon, i mind WE have to discover that! Some lenses cost you a full monthly paycheck or more. It's not a peace of fruit which molded too early in your fruitbasket.

So some active prevention or retesting would be nice to have without random swapping units till you happy because you accidently knows how to prove it's a bad sample and they probably sell it again to an other hopefull thinking that fellow doesn't findout it's punching under the waist.

Sorry for the rant but i am sick of "well there alway's be lemons so we can't help it." Speech. You can't avoid lemons rolling from the assemblyline but you can avoiding selling them!

Peace no hardfeelings.πŸ™‚

-- hide signature --

knowledge is addictive, every time i get some i want more.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(If i can remember 1/1000 of everything i learned/read in the past i will be happy as a monky with........)

spike29's gear list:spike29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow