Switching from iMac to MacBook Pro Help

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,677
Re: Switching from iMac to MacBook Pro Help

jf_tea wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

One plan:

1. Back up everything on the old iMac (internal and external) and disconnect all of the backup disks.

2. Upgrade the iMac to High Sierra . Without this, you can't upgrade Lightroom Classic enough to get to a version that is compatible with Catalina.

3. Upgrade Lightroom Classic to the latest version.

4. Check that everything still works on the old iMac.

5. Deactivate Lightroom Classic (and other such programs).

6. Make a backup of the upgraded iMac disk. This can be a Time Machine backup or a clone (Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper) backup.

7. Turn on the new Mac for the first time, and plug in the backup disk from step 6. You will probably need a USB-C to USB-A adapter or cable ($5 – $20).

8. When the new Mac asks if you want to copy over applications, settings, etc. from another computer, tell it yes, and point it to the backup disk from steps 6 and 7. Doing this at setup time will avoid the "Migration Assistant can't merge accounts" issue identified in the TidBITS article.

9. Activate Lightroom Classic on the new computer.

10. Connect external photo drives, using USB-C to USB-A adapters or cables.

This is a good plan.

My migration of LR 6.x was from an iMac with Sierra to a MBP 2019 with Mojave. The migration of LR went smoothly. (But I did get permission/ownership problems on some folders in my home directory. I did fix them, eventually).

My pictures (RAWs, etc) were on a different volume.

I moved the location of my Lightroom folder at the same time. It was fine.

Thank you!  I am about a week away from acquiring the new Macbook Pro and feel much more confident I can make the change.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow