Macro photographer - should I get a tele converter?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stephen1729 New Member • Posts: 19
Macro photographer - should I get a tele converter?

Hi, I've been macro shooting now for about 2 years with a Nikon D7500 and 105mm G2.8.  The combination works very well and I am getting some excellent sharp and detailed images of insects.

However I want to be able to get the classic fly eyes image and I just cannot get the detail or magnification for it to be really impressive.

This is about the best I can manage

Recent shot in my garden

So I have been wondering whether I should mate my 105 with a TC20E III tele-converter which I have seen in nearly new condition second hand.

I know that I will lose auto focus but I don't care as I use manual exclusively for macro shots.  I know I will lose 2 stops but I don't care because I never shoot macro wider than 5.6

BUT I have read that sharpness can suffer.  This would be a deal killer.  The 105 is fabulously sharp and if the tele-converter degrades that then I am wasting my time and my money.

As far as I can see my alternatives are: (i) get a macro with more reach or (ii) upgrade to a higher resolution camera or (iii) do both.  (ii) I will be doing anyway, eventually.  I plan to go for the D850 or its replacement.

Does anyone here have experience of running the 105 with the TC20E and can fill me in on the true experience?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D7500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow