Photographing Neowise with 600mm lens

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
W5JCK
W5JCK Veteran Member • Posts: 3,600
Re: Photographing Neowise with 600mm lens

JessieS12 wrote:

Hi, I live in Minnesota and am planning to photograph Neowise between 10-11:30 pm tonight and I have a Nikon D7200 with a Sigma 150-600mm lens and I just got a 1.4x teleconverter that I am hoping to use for a close up shot of the comet. I'm new to astrophotography so I'm not sure what the best ISO, f stop and exposure would be if I'm at 500 or 600mm? and with the 1.4x? Thank you!

I would leave the teleconverter at home. Even 600mm will be way to long of a FL for the comet. If you want to get the whole comet in the photo, 150mm or shorter will be better.

No clue on settings as every camera and lens are different. Perhaps start out at ISO 100 to see if that works. Try using the formula of 133 / FL for shutter, so for example 133 / 150 = 0.8 sec maximum shutter speed. Try setting the aperture 1 stop below wide open. Just experiment by adjusting ISO and/or aperture to get a good exposure.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --
 W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow