5DS - Low light file handling

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 23,815
Re: 5DS - Low light file handling

jkgal wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

jkgal wrote:

Would it be better, from the noise performance, to shoot in MRAW (28MP). Or shoot the full 50MP and then downsize to roughly 28MP in post.

Talking live music gigs where 28MP is enough for my application. Would rather ingest the smaller RAW files on the MAC, but noise performance is paramount.

Apologies if already discussed elsewhere.

Your best bet is always to capture full resolution, turn down sharpening, apply any noise reduction appropriate for the size you plan to resample to (the more you're going to downsample, the harder you can hit the full res with noise reduction), resample to the target pixel count, and then apply any sharpening. Sometimes an independent "Edge sharpen" can make the result look sharper without emphasizing noise as much as a normal sharpening.

Thank you all for the replies. I will probably be shying away from MRAW, and make some English Breakfast whilst Mac is chugging in post.

"the more you're going to downsample, the harder you can hit the full res with noise reduction., resample to the target pixel count, and then apply any sharpening"

So, can apply more NR if, say, downsizing to 10MP, as opposed to say 20MP - is that what you mean John?

Yes. Converters don't really help much with this, because their sharpening/NR sense of scale is for 100% crops; not for the image or your desired output dimensions or size.

Also, I would have thought it to be more appropriate to sharpen the full res prior to down-sampling

So do a lot of other people, but that is a compulsion, not a useful procedure. The original resolution has noise, detail, and aliasing at fine resolutions that can't even be shown after downsampling, but they can show anyway in aliased form as nonsense information, or more noise than you really needed to see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow