Decent wide angle required for D7200

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
johnchap2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,365
Re: Decent wide angle required for D7200

stonesfan wrote:

Hi All

Am doing quite a lot of landscapey stuff recently. Use my present 2nd hand 16-85mm for this. Whilst a little older and slow focusing this lens has surprised me with the quality of glass on offer. Really enjoying it as a walkabout.

However 90% of the time I'm using it at 16-24mm and starting to ponder a dedicated wide angle.

The 12-24mm F4 DX seems the logical mid value choice 2nd hand or are there better options out there?

cheers

I don't think the 12-24 will gain you much in WA.  It is rather pricey even used, but the Sigma 8-16mm DX will really get you the WA you can benefit from, and it is an excellent lens. However, the older Sigma lenses (I am unsure whether there is a newer version) might not work with recent firmware upgrades to Nikon bodies; and will probably not work with new bodies.

A possible alternative would be a lens in the 10-20mm range.  Such a lens will provide real choices when WA is needed.

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow