With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,366
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now? After all, the D850 is a professional camera. Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then? I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780. Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6? Then maybe there will be no Z9? Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

Well, the Z7 was the mirrorless equivalent of your D850.  The Z7s will be an updated version.  I'm sure at some point a ML version of the D500 will come out.

The Z8/Z9 are probably aimed at the pro shooter, who perhaps doesn't want to spend $5000 on a camera body.  So I'm going to guess the Z8/Z9 will likely be in the realm of $3900 or something of that nature--similar to the R5 and A7R IV especially if they offer 60-61MP sensors.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow