With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,828
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

astirusty wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

astirusty wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

astirusty wrote:

Menu system / controls needs to evolve, made easier to use.

Firmware needs to mature. On two occasions, Z7 would not allow selection of menu function, until a factory reset was done.

Those last two are general usability and bugs, neither of which has to do with being a "pro" body or not. Those should be fixed regardless.

My point is pros are not going to go for a camera with a still evolving menu system, whereby they miss shots, become distracted, or waste time digging and fiddling around due menu changes.

Same with a camera with a flaky operating system or OS for a new line of cameras which hasn't proven itself to be reliable.

Can you imagine a pro saying: Sorry I got new NiKanOy ZM11 and it locked up. Give about 5-minutes to do a factory reset and re-load of my settings; then we can continue the Wedding. Make that 10-minutes, with the last firmware update, the menu system changed, and I can't find factory reset.

My point is that you don't need a Z8 to improve a menu system (if it even needs fixing) or fix a bug that occasionally causes a lockup. You need to just fix your bugs or usability in the current product. No need for a new hardware rev just to fix software issues.

Sure fix bugs in Z7. Improve menu system in Z7. But for Pro use, Z8 should not require bug fixes, significant as locked-up or hung. Nor should Z8 need improvements to menu system, where layout changes or settings move to different section or sub-section.

Nowhere anywhere in this forum are you seeing significant numbers of people saying that they can't use the Z7 for professional assignments because the menus are junk

I never said the Z7's menus are junk (or similar).

or the camera locks up all the time. You've apparently developed that opinion,

from experience. Early on Z7's menu system layout changed.

Believe it was previous firmware update where my Z7 had two lock-ups requiring factory resets and re-entering user selections. No problems with current firmware version. Which gets back to my point, for Z8 to be Professional level of camera it needs to reliable.

Menus are user interface so everyone has their own opinion about UI (some more informed and reasoned than others) and, in particular, with these kinds of menus, everyone will have their own "pet" feature they wish was easier to get to. None of that means it's not a pro camera or isn't already being used by lots of pros.

Completely different matter. You are talking about personal taste and UI being user friendly. I am talking about UI being stable, not changing with firmware updates, for Pro use. From day one of Z8 to last day of Z8 to be supported, the Menu System (or UI) should not under go changes to overall structure (or layout) to where Pro has to re-learn UI.

So, apparently you now say that the menus are fine and the menu changes are done and the freezes are no longer, yet you insist a new camera like a Z8 is required for a pro.  Never mind - no point in discussing further with you.

-- hide signature --

John

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow